Now in its 5th year, the world’s only awards program for women in wine is open for entries.
The 2019 Australian Women in Wine Awards (AWIWA) launches today, Thursday 6 June.
The AWIWA action board together with The Fabulous Ladies’ Wine Society today announce that the 2019 Australian Women in Wine Awards are now open. Awards are being offered this year in following categories:
- Winemaker of the Year – sponsored by Tonnellerie Saint Martin
- Viticulturist of the Year – sponsored by Wine Australia
- Researcher / Innovator of the Year – sponsored by Angove Family Winemakers
- Champion of Diversity and Equality – sponsored by Australian Grape & Wine
- Owner / Operator of the Year – sponsored by WineWorks Australia
- Woman of Inspiration – sponsored by Irvine Wines
- Marketer of the Year – sponsored by denomination
- Cellar Door Person of the Year – sponsored by Purple Giraffe
In addition to this year’s eight award categories, Wine Australia will be sponsoring the Honorary Australian Woman in Wine Award – USA. This new award for 2019 will be supported by a generous bursary prize to explore Victorian wine regions donated by the Victorian Government, and will recognise a woman who lives and works in the USA and has made a positive impact in the US wine industry promoting Australian Wine. The contribution will be recognised at the ceremony in New York on the evening of 17th September (morning of 18th September, Australian time) in partnership with Wine Australia, as part of the largest Australian wine promotion ever held in the USA.
Founding member of the AWIWA Action Board & CEO/Winemaker for Oliver’s Taranga, Corrina Wright (who also came up with the #winechicksrule hashtag that has been an integral part of the awards) believes there’s been a real difference made to the wine community through the work of the AWIWA over the last five years.
“By shining a light on our amazing women in wine we have enabled opportunities for women to find support within regions and across the country, pulled together the first Australian symposium for women in wine in Sydney, taken on London – and now we’re spreading the story to NEW YORK CITY!”
Founder and Chair of the AWIWA and The Fabulous Ladies’ Wine Society, Jane Thomson, agrees. “We could hardly have dreamed when we started in 2015 that we’d be not only championing the talents of our women in wine on the homefront, but we’d also be sharing the story of Australian wine to the world through their achievements. I’d love to see a record number of entries come in this year so we can uncover another cohort of talented women and their stories to champion for the benefit of the whole sector.”
Key Dates for AWIWA 2019:
- Entries (and nominations) Open – Thursday 6 June
- Entries Close – Thursday 1 August
- Finalists Announced – Thursday 15 August
- Awards Announced – evening of Tuesday 17 September in New York (Wednesday 18 September in Australia) in partnership with Wine Australia